This is the third episode of my cooking show with my daughter Bea! This time we are making homemade healthy fruit snacks. You notice the recipe calls for gelatin. For vegetarians and vegans, we can substitute agar agar. <
Healthy Fruit Snacks Recipe
Juice of one large lemon
2/3 cup fresh berries or frozen berries thawed to room temperature
3 TB honey
3 TB unflavored gelatin (or for vegans, substitute agar agar according to the package directions)
- Stir together all ingredients except gelatin in a medium bowl.
- Blend mixture until smooth then heat to warm on medium-low heat.
- Whisk gelatin into the mixture slowly while stirring constantly to avoid clumps forming.
- Continue to whisk mixture until gelatin is completely melted and incorporated.
- Pour mixture into greased dish (or silicone molds.)
- Place in freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Cut snacks using miniature cookie cutters, or simply cut into small squares with a knife.
These keep best in an airtight container in the fridge, but they will do just fine when packed in a lunchbox without an ice pack.