I always get ideas late at night when I’m half asleep. At the time, they seem amazing. Unlike anything anyone has ever done before. Crazy levels of fun. Yet by the next morning I’ve completely unsold myself on them, and forgotten half the reasons I had thought they were so cool to begin with. Then later I’m frustrated because I realize I’m talking myself out of doing anything for fear of it not being all that cool when I actually do it.
So, that’s my neurotic intro for this new little thing I’m doing. It stems from the idea that people’s personal blogs would be a lot more interesting if they could take truly random snapshots of their lives and thoughts, rather than giving the person the power to decide when enough interesting things had accumulated in their lives to warrant a blog entry.
What if there were random, set times when a person had to take a couple minutes to blog about life and their state of mind at that very moment ? It would be like reality TV, the blog version.
This is where things get odd and I tried to talk myself out of it but I’m powering through for once: I had an idea to blog based on certain incremental increases of my car mileage. I like thinking of life in terms of miles traveled instead of minutes and years passed.
To make it into a metaphor, things that happened years ago can still feel close if you havent moved on… and a person can also come a long way in a short time, too. How many times have we been on road trips passing hundreds of other cars, thinking about all the unique people inside them and wondering who they were and what was going through their minds?
Granted, blog entries at certain mileages won’t be truly random snippets of life because they’ll all be centered around a car ride. But since I work from home it won’t be like they’ll all be falling on my daily commute either. I think this will be fun, and though it may turn out to be a huge bore, it also could grow into something fresh, and something I’m glad I made myself start when I look back on it a few years from now.
1. I’m going to commit to one blog entry every 100 miles. The entry can be either written with at least one picture summing up the current life situation or a short video blog.
2. The blog entry will be written/recorded within 10 miles of the set mileage. This makes it close enough that I can’t avoid boring or stressful situations but not so close that I’ll have to risk my life pulling over on the busy interstate or something.
3. I have a feeling this little experiment might feel like it sucks after a couple entries, but I am going to committ to at least 10 entries (1000 miles) before I decide whether or not I can quit.
4. This isn’t instead of any of my other blogging, just a side project.
5. This will start at the next even 100 mile mark: 44800.